Great news for cannabis enthusiasts: growing cannabis in Maine is legal! But, before you rush into finding out where to buy marijuana seeds in Maine, you should familiarize yourself with the legalities and other pertinent information first. Continue reading so that you can find answers questions to more of your Maine-related cannabis questions here.
Medical Marijuana in Maine
The local government of Maine has approved the use of medical marijuana for a large number of conditions. These illnesses include neurological concerns, like Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease, life-threatening conditions like cancer, HIV, AIDS, and epilepsy, and digestive disorders like Inflammatory Bowel Disease and nausea.
The list also includes Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Cachexia or wasting syndrome, Nail-patella syndrome, Huntington’s disease and Crohn’s disease. Of course, the legislation also included Hepatitis-C, Glaucoma, PTSD or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and chronic pain.
Medical marijuana patients in Maine are allowed to have 2.5 ounces of cannabis in their possession at any time. For growing cannabis in their homes, these patients are allowed to have six mature plants at a time. All over Maine, there are many medical marijuana-specific dispensaries to purchase your cannabis supply. Patients are also allowed to nominate a personal caregiver that will grow cannabis plants on their behalf. If you are a medical cannabis patient that does not have a medical marijuana card for Maine, you can only smoke in the state but not buy your stash from a local dispensary.
Legalization History of Cannabis in Maine
Aside from the Maine Medical Marijuana Program, Maine also legalized recreational cannabis possession. Any person can possess less than 2.5 ounces of cannabis without facing any penalty or fine. If a person keeps more than 2.5 ounces, it becomes a crime and could include jail time and a fine. Public use of marijuana is also not allowed and will result in a civil infraction as well as a $100 fine.
Keep in mind, if you can provide a proof of medical need will cancel any possible fines. So, make sure you will always register as a medical marijuana patient if you are someone who requires cannabis for health concerns.
Growing Cannabis Seeds in Maine
- You are allowed to start home growing and searching where to buy marijuana seeds in Maine if you see yourself meeting the following criteria:
2. You are above the minimum age of 21 years old.
3. You can possess an unlimited number of cannabis seedlings. The law defines seedlings to be nonflowering cannabis plants that are not taller than 24 inches and no wider than 18 inches. Seedlings can be planted from clones or seeds from a mother plant. The best thing about Maine’s rule on this is that you have the chance to grow as much as you want and select the best one among the bunch for the vegetative stage.
4. You are limited to grow 12 immature plants. An immature cannabis plant is defined as a plant taller than 24 inches and wider than 18 inches but is not yet producing flowers or buds. If they are not autoflowering strains, they will need 18 hours of light and 6 hours of complete darkness per day. When you change the lighting to 12 hours of light a day, the plant will be triggered to begin flowering.
5. You can cultivate no more than 3 flowering cannabis plants. The flowering stage could last around 7 to 9 weeks, depending on the strain.
6. You can keep and enjoy the harvest of your 3 cannabis plants. Take note that you are not allowed to have more weed beyond the harvest from 3 plants. Of course, every harvest is different but you should expect ounces of marijuana, not pounds. If by chance you encounter an unfinished stash with harvest coming soon, you have to dispose of some of your stashes. Remember that you cannot sell the cannabis, so you can only give them away.
7. Indoor cannabis growing can only be completed in your own residence.
You can do outdoor cultivation in your own property or on your friend’s property as long as there is written permission.
8. All outdoor cannabis gardens must not be visible without the help of aircraft or binoculars. You can opt for building a fence around your cannabis plant or building a little greenhouse. Remember that some strains can grow up to six feet tall so check the strains that you will grow, as well as the space that you have.
9. All cannabis plants must have an identifying tag that includes a driver’s license or an identification number.
Things that You Cannot Legally Do in Maine
Though you are allowed to do many things, remember that freedom has its limits. You are not allowed to do any of these things:
1. Growing cannabis plants at multiple places and/or having more than 3 plants in your name.
2. Putting plants under a friend’s name but taking care of those plants.
3. Renting out space for people to grow cannabis in.
4. Selling your harvest.
5. Store your harvest someplace other than your home.
6. Like any other recreational substance, driving under the influence of cannabis is strictly illegal. Getting caught driving under the influence of marijuana will result in a DUI or OWI and will leave you with a damaged record.
Transporting Cannabis from Maine
According to the marijuana laws in Maine, it is legal to transport cannabis-related accessories and up to 2.5 ounces of usable cannabis as long as the cannabis is kept in a sealed container that is child-proof at all times the transportation vehicles is being used.
Exporting Cannabis from Maine
As with every other US state with legalized cannabis, exporting cannabis across state lines is illegal. Getting caught with exporting cannabis will cause violators to face steep jail time and criminal charges on their record. Even though this may sound appealing, it is never worth the risk of ruining your life with legal troubles.
Now that you have gained valuable knowledge on Maine’s cannabis regulations, you can now consider your options on where to buy marijuana seeds in Maine. Remember to only consider the most reputable breeders or seed banks, so that you can get quality seeds and quality buds that you can enjoy.